Saturday, April 12, 2014

Tryin' is Dyin'

I'm a personal trainer and love leading boot camp workouts. I have some wonderful, strong, encouraging clients, and we have a great time pushing each other to be our best during class. We know that the only way to change our minds and bodies is to get uncomfortable, work through the pain, and believe that we are able (even when we don't want to).

After class one morning, I was talking to one of my clients about a dietary lifestyle change she should consider. And I said, "Just try it. If it doesn't work you're not out anything." She took that in a second and then said, "Tryin' is dyin'. I've got to decide to do it. I'm doing it."

That has resonated with me over the last several weeks. Trying is dying.

I certainly "try" things in my physical fitness/well being, and when I do this I'm essentially giving myself permission to fail. If I say "I'll try" to do 10 push ups and then don't succeed, it's not so bad. I've only said I'll attempt it. I didn't say I would conquer it.

I play this same game in my spiritual walk as well...

I say that I'll try to love God most. I'll try to walk in His ways. I'll try not to commit a certain sin. By trying, I give myself room not to love God most, not to walk in His ways, and to commit sin. I give myself permission to fail. However, if I truly repent - if I turn my back to sin and set my face towards Jesus and decide to follow Him, then it's different. My attitude is set. I'm committed. I'm determined to follow Him. No matter the flaming darts Satan throws at me or the enticement the world has to offer or the distractions that my flesh wants me to latch on to. I've decided.

Where are you today? Are you trying? Or are you dying?  Trying is dying. Instead, decide. Set your face toward the Son and press on, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment