Pomegranates have been in season here for several weeks, but I've been too chicken to buy one! I didn't know how to eat them until the other day. So, I bought one today! I'm not sure how many of you have ever seen one of these (I hadn't till I moved here), so I thought I'd show you!
 |
| Pomegranates here are pretty big - about the size of a softball. |
 |
| Inside the tough outer covering are small red kernels filled with sweet juice. |
 |
You pick the kernels out of the inside, which takes a few minutes, because they don't just fall out.
You have to work a little bit. |
 |
| Aren't they pretty? They look like red corn kernels. |
 |
Each pomegranate yields a good amount.
Now I have a nice bowl full of juicy, sweet, antioxidant-filled kernels! |
I read up on pomegranates a tad and found that (according to WebMD) they are full of antioxidants. Some think that pomegranates have more antioxidants than green tea or cranberry juice. Also, they help to improve blood flow, stop plague build up in blood vessels so that cholesterol is lowered, help fight cancer, and the seeds have lots of fiber. Read more at:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/pomegranate-power
No comments:
Post a Comment